Despite getting to bed a bit late after everything last night, I woke up feeling good for a workout this morning. I did spinning for the first time in a while…it was one of those classes where it really kicked my thrash. My legs were burning in a good way and the playlist was rockin…what else could I really ask for? 🙂 I followed it up with 20 minutes of upper body weight training. My arms are feelin that burn!
The real highlight of today wasnt my workout so much…it was dinner. When me and Kev were wandering around the supermarket on Sunday, trying to figure out a dinner for Thursday…we both turned to each other and said “Corned Beef and Cabbage maybe?” We are on the same crazy wavelength sometimes 😉 Kevin has to work on Saturday and I’m going to NYC to see the parade and celebrate Carolines birthday and we wont be able to celebrate together…but we are both suckers for corned beef and cabbage so we had to fit it in somehow. Kevin suggested making it in the crockpot and so we adapted this recipe to try it out (we only had 2 pounds of corned beef to work with):
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into matchstick pieces
- 7 baby red potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 onion, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 (2 pound) corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 12 ounces beer
- 1/2 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- Place the carrots, potatoes, and onion into the bottom of a slow cooker, pour in the water, and place the brisket on top of the vegetables. Pour the beer over the brisket. Sprinkle on the spices from the packet, cover, and set the cooker on High.
- Cook the brisket for about 8 hours. An hour before serving, stir in the cabbage and cook for 1 more hour.
Now, everything was still delicious except that the corned beef was a little dry…so next time, I think we would add more liquid to the mix. It was delicious either way though…we also bought Irish soda bread from our local bakery to serve on the side. Green Beer was a necessity as well…non-alcoholic for Kevin and PBR for me (how hipster of me of course)
I’m not going to divulge how much we actually ate of this feast…ahem. It was pretty nice getting to celebrate the holiday a little early 🙂 Despite all my college adventures, I never really celebrated St Pattys until recent years. I had never even TRIED corned beef and cabbage until I started dating Kevin. I’m a complete convert.
Tomorrow I have a half day of work and I’m going to do my long run tomorrow afternoon. I’m thinking 15 miles on the agenda. The green beer tonight totally helps with hydration for tomorrow…or at the very least, carbs…hahaha. Hope everyone is having a great Thursday!
Do you enjoy corned beef and cabbage at all? Ever made it on your own?
Are you a fan of irish soda bread?
Any good plans for St. Patricks Day, or you dont celebrate at all?