Saturday morning was absolutely gorgeous and sunny out. Thank gosh, I hate all the clouds and rain we’ve been having lately. I’m ready for some WARM weather and i’m ready for some stretchy dresses and skirts (they come in handy when you spend your weekends BBQing and drinking beer) 😉
You are welcome for me shaving my legs, just sayin.
I was ready for a long run..my ankle/foot felt a little sore but I just couldn’t resist. It was too sunny and nice out to just bike ride so I ran 11.5 miles 😉 My ankle was a little sore afterwards but I iced it thoroughly..Ice is my best friend, seriously.
So this is what our Saturday night looked like:
My dad is a little in love with me and my sister’s chihuahuas 🙂 We invited by parents over to BBQ on our deck since Kevin had to work Mother’s Day but still wanted to get to spend time with my mom. It was a really great night full of drinks, food and family time. I can’t think of anything else I’d rather do on a Saturday night!
I woke up at 6:30 am to bake at my mom’s request. She wanted Carrot Cake sandwich cookies and for Mother’s day, her wish is my command:
This recipe is definitely not healthy but I found it in my Martha Stewart cookie cookbook (my go to book for cookie recipes)
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots, (about 3 large carrots)
- 1 cup raisins
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl. Using a rubber spatula, soften cream cheese. Gradually add butter, and continue beating until smooth and well blended. Sift in confectioners’ sugar, and continue beating until smooth. Add vanilla, and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with Silpat baking mats or parchment paper, and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine sugars and butter; beat until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat on medium speed until well combined.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger; stir to combine. Gradually add flour to butter mixture; mix on a low speed until just blended. Mix in oats, carrots, and raisins. Chill dough in refrigerator until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Using a 1/2-ounce ice-cream scoop, scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between cookies. Transfer to oven, and bake until browned and crisped, rotating pan halfway through baking to ensure even color, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat baking process with remaining dough. Once cooled completely, use an offset spatula to spread about 2 teaspoons of cream-cheese filling onto a cookie. Sandwich together with a second cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
I usually bake these for Easter but my mom really wanted them this weekend so I had to indulge her.
You know how we do here in Jersey…Sunday diner breakfasts are our speciality:
Technically lunch but it’s all good. I had a buffalo chicken wrap with fries. The chicken was a little TOO spicy for my liking so I only had half but french fries always make everything better.
Me and Nina headed home to spend time with my parents after we dropped Kev off at work. Looks like my dad wasn’t feeling cooking too much so we did take-out for dinner. A super healthy dinner of ribs, potato salad and pork fried rice. Ahhhh, home cooking at its best:
Ok, maybe an egg roll was had as well. Chinese food never fails to mess with my stomach so I’m feeling a little bleah tonight but it was worth it when I was eating it, hahaha. I’m sure my run tomorrow will feel fabuloussss!
Mr. Nacho isn’t a huge fan of car rides. On the way home me and Nina were cracking up at the super serious look on his face and the fact that he refused to sit down:
Also, if you didn’t know, slurpees are a must for car drives home:
Yet another weekend in the books that went wayyyy too quickly. Our Mothers day weekend went fabulously though and I’m glad we got to spend a lot of time with my Mom and Dad because they are pretty much the coolest people in the world. I’m lucky to have parents that are so incredibly in love with each other…it makes me excited for the day that I finally get married.
I hope all you Mother’s out there had a great weekend as well…you deserve it because I think being a Mom is one of the toughest yet most rewarding jobs in the world. I have nothing but the utmost respect 🙂 I love YOU mom, you are the greatest!!
Tell me about your weekend in the comments!!