, , , ,

Saturday morning started off in the most amusing way.

I woke up at 5:45 am and it was raining so I decided to go back to sleep for a little bit in hopes that the weather would simmer down. I woke back up at 6:20 and saw that it stopped raining so I started getting ready. I fed the cats, walked the dog, made myself an english muffin drizzled in honey and sprinkled with coconut. I trotted down the stairs, happy to begin my run. Guess what? it started raining again! I was frustrated but checked the weather and saw the rain should be stopping around 7:45 am. I went back to sleep for the second time and woke up at 7:45 to see it finally stopped raining. I ran out the door, completely wanting to get out there already! Yeah, so it started raining again 10 minutes into the run..haha! I was laughing and shaking my head at that point but I was fine. It wasnt raining heavily or super downpouring…mostly just a light,steady drizzle. I dont mind running in the rain that much but its really annoying when you know you have to go out for 18 miles and your shoes and socks are soggy and you just KNOW you are going to have major blisters by the end of the run. No bueno. I’m lucky that didnt happen…in fact, the whole run completely surprised me. My 18 miler ended up being so much easier then my 16 miler! Im guessing it must have been a crazy combination of factors last time…last time, I had my time of the month (who cares if its TMI?), it was super hot, super humid and the sun was beating down on me…not to mention the fact that I hadnt properly carb loaded the night before. It made all the difference this time around…I didnt hit a wall the entire run. I took my first shot blocks at 8 miles and then the second one at 14 miles…I hydrated properly throughout the run and I could honestly say its the first run I had where I felt like i could handle the full 26.2 on October 2nd. I’m thrilled, to say the least.

Kevin and Nina were thrilled too because they were so excited for me when I told them how it went when I got home 🙂 I promptly took an ice bath and made myself breakfast…I also foam rolled like a beast and felt sooo good afterwards! I headed up to my parents house in Union later in the day with Nina for my cousin Ashlee’s birthday party. It was a good chill time, and ice cream cake was involved but of course, nowhere near as amazing as the famous one at Kevins sisters house 😉

IMG 0845

Me and Nina came back and hung out on the couch for the rest of the night…my kind of partying!

Today was a day full of errands, as per usual. We went food shopping and also went to the mall to the peruse the sales, I made a few cute purchases! We decided to cook dinner for the first time in a while and it came out awesome! I got this cookbook for Christmas and I’m sad to say we didnt use it at all until today…hopefully we get better use out of it!

IMG 4629

Kevin also cleaned out the fridge for us today, he’s the best sometimes:

IMG 4631

So, I made bread from scratch for the first time ever today! I used the recipe from the book and it was scary but I’m delighted to say it came out amazing. Here’s the recipe:

Cheese bread from Genoa


1/2 cups war water

1 tablespoon Active Dry Yeast

1 tsp salt

1tsp sugar

4 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting

1/4 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil

1 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano

1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling

2 bunches scallions, cut into 1/8 inch thick slives

2 tablespoons fresh rosemary chopped

1 tablespoon Coarse Sea Salt

1. Put the warm water in a large warmed bowl, add the yeast and stir to dissolve. let stand for 3 minutes, or until foamy.

2. Add the salt and sugar and stir to combine. Add the flour and olive oil and mix, first with the spoon and then using your hands, until the dough comes together into a ball that no longer sticks to your fingers.

IMG 4632

IMG 4633

3. Wash and dry your hands. Transfer the dough ball to a work surface and knead, occasionally dusting the dough with a tsp of flour or so, until you have a smooth, firm ball, around 15 minutes.

IMG 4634

4. Place the dough in a lightly oiled large bowl and cover it with a clean kitchen cloth. Place the bowl in a warm area (such as above the fridge) and let rise until the dough has doubled in size, about 2 hours.

IMG 4635

5. Punch the dough down and divide it into 2 equal pieces. Shape each one into a ball, return to the bowl and cover, and let rise for 30 mins.

6. Preheat the oven to 450 F. Lightly oil two 11-17 inch baking sheets.

7. Place each piece of dough on an oiled baking sheet and using a rolling pin or your hands, flatten it to fit the baking sheet. Using your fingertips, poke indentations across the entire surface of each bread. Sprinkle with both cheeses, drizzle with olive oil, and then sprinkle with the rosemary, scallions and salt. Bake for 14-15 minutes, until golden brown on top and bottom. Serve warm. 

IMG 4642

IMG 4648

For the entree, we made linguine with crabmeat, radicchio and garlic!

Linguine with crabmeat, radicchio and garlic:

1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil

3 shallots, finely chooped

4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced

1 tsp red pepper flakes

1 cup dry white wine (we used Chardonnay)

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 pd linguine

8 oz jumbo lump crabmeat

1/2 head radicchio, finely shreeded

2 scallions, finely sliced

1. Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot, and add 2 tablespoons salt.

2. Meanwhile, in a 10-to 12 inch saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat until smoking. Add the shallots, garlic, and red pepper flakes and saute until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a boil, then stir in the butter and remove from the heat.

3. Cook the pasta in the boiling water until just al dente, drain.

4. Add the pasta to the saute pan and return the pan to medium heat. Add the crab, radicchio and scallions and toss until the radicchio is wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer to a warmed serving bowl and serve immediately.

IMG 4643

IMG 4644

IMG 4645

IMG 4649

Delicious, sort of healthy dinner 😉

What a great weekend! I have less than a week until the our 1st vacation in a while..we are going to Ocean City, MD with Kev’s family next Saturday, I’m too excited for words!

Tell me about your weekend in the comments!